We’ve compiled a list of some Frequently Asked Questions below.  If you’d like to ask your own question, click Ask Question and we’ll get back to you with an answer.


Q: What is a “management company,” what do they do, and how do I reach them?

A:   Hammersmith Management, Inc. was retained by your Board of Directors to oversee the daily management of the Community, to maintain the financial records and to assist the Board in all other business affairs of the Association. The management team consists of a Client Services Department that can assist Homeowners with almost all matters, the accounting department that can help with any questions regarding your account and a licensed Community Association Manager that will provide professional and quality services to each owner within your community. Hammersmith Management can be reached at 303.980.0700 or via our website at www.eHammersmith.com.

Back to Top

Q: What is a Community Association?

A:   A Community Association is a non-profit corporation registered with the State and managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to provide a communal basis for preserving, maintaining, and enhancing the Community. A Community Association also provides governance with provision of the legal documents: CC&R’s, Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation. The Community Association is financially supported by all members of the Association. Membership is both automatic and mandatory.

Back to Top

Q: What are the CC&R’S?

A:   The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R’s), which are also known as the Declarations, define the bundle of rights each owner in the Community Association must abide to. The CC&R’s are recorded by the County recorder’s office and are included in the title to your property. Failure to abide by the CC&R’s may result in a fines to the Homeowner by the Association.

Back to Top

Q: What are the Bylaws?

A:   The Bylaws are the adopted guidelines for the administration and management of a Community Association. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the Association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the Association as a business.

Back to Top

Q: What is the Board of Directors?

A:   The Board of Directors is elected by the Homeowners, or as otherwise specified in your Community Association Bylaws. The Board of Directors’ responsibility is operating the Community Association on behalf of the property owners. The Board of Directors will implement policies, standards, procedures, programs and develop the annual budget for their Community.

Back to Top

Q: What are the primary requirements of the covenants?

A:   Many Community Associations have established Rules and Regulations that have been adopted by the Board of Directors. The Rules and Regulations are established to provide direction to the property owners in regard to parking, pets, pool use, etc. Community Associations may also have specific guidelines set up for Architectural Improvements. Architectural Improvements include, but are not limited to: patio covers, decks, landscaping, and exterior color changes. These rules are set up to maintain the aesthetic value and integrity of your Community and to protect the market value of your investment. Violations of these rules may result in action by the Board of Directors, which can include fines assessed to the property owners. In addition, exterior improvements or changes that are completed without prior approval by the Board of Directors or Architectural Committee, may require the property owner to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violations.

Back to Top

Q: What do I do if I want to report a violation?

A:  All violations must be submitted to Hammersmith Management in writing. You can submit the violation via mail, fax or through Hammersmith Management’s website at www.eHammersmith.com. Once you are on the Hammersmith Management website, select the “Homeowners” tab, and then choose “Report a Violation” on the drop down menu. Please note that you will be required to enter in your name and address but your personal information will not be released to the Homeowner who you are reporting the violation on.

Back to Top

Q: Are Board Meetings open to all residents? If so, where and when are they held?

A:    Board meetings are open to all residents of an association. Notice of the time and place of any regular Board meetings will be noted in the community newsletter, or accessed online through your Community’s website on the “Calendar” page or you can call Hammersmith Management at 303.980.0700.

Back to Top

Q: If I want to serve on a Committee, how do I find out what Committees are active and how I can get involved?

A:   If you would like to become more involved in your Community and want to volunteer on a Committee, you can log onto your Community Association’s website to find out about the different Committees your Community has organized. Once you have logged into your Association’s website, just click on the “Contacts” tab and select “Board and Committees” on the drop down menu. Please contact the Committee Chair to find out more information regarding volunteer opportunities.

Back to Top

Q: What is my assessment?

A:  Assessments are the Homeowner’s financial obligation to the Community Association. Assessments cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years. Each Association is unique and due dates for assessments vary. Check your Association’s specific policy for more details on due dates. Assessment payments can be set up to be automatically deducted from your checking account or you can click the “Homeowners” tab on this site to pay your assessment online.

Back to Top

Q: How is the amount of my assessment determined?

A: The Department of Real Estate typically requires an initial budget from the developer for each Community that a developer proposes to build. This budget is set depending upon specific guidelines for utilities, landscaping, administration, etc. Reserve funds are monies set aside for future expenses due to the life expectancy of certain items: such as lighting, street resurfacing, pool equipment, etc. These amounts are then divided by the number of units built in a given phase of the development. Subsequent budgets are developed by the Board of Directors and adjusted periodically to meet anticipated expenses.

Back to Top

Q: Will my assessment go up?

A:   There is no concrete answer to whether or not your assessment will go up. Typically, your Association Declarations provide for annual increases, in most cases, there is a set percentage that is not to be exceeded per year without the vote of the property owners. The Board of Directors may approve an increased budget, in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.

Back to Top

Q: What happens if I don’t pay my assessment?

A:   Community Associations are dependent upon timely receipt of assessments due from each property owner. Late payments will result in late charges and possibly interest to your account. In addition, the Association has the right to turn over delinquent accounts to the attorney for collection of assessments.

Back to Top

Q: Do I need approval to do exterior changes?

A.  In a single family home Community all permanent exterior changes must be submitted for approval by a Design Review/Architectural Committee or your Board of Directors prior to any work being performed.

In a condominium or townhome community, exterior changes are prohibited, with the exception of windows, doors, satellite dishes and some balcony or porch railings.

Exterior changes that are completed without prior approval by the Board of Directors or Design Review/Architectural Committee, my require the property owner to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violations.

Log onto www.eHammersmith.com to check your specific Association rules and regulations for further information.